liam mcd

Pre/Post ride Nutrition

After returning from the Borders Trip and witnessing my fellow club members putting together their various "go to's" for nutrition before and after a ride,  (Kitvhen was often a hive of activity!)    It got me wondering...... What is everyone's typical preparations for a ride?

Are you a porridge person, or toast and banana, or something else?

What do you have immediately after a ride? Protein shakes, Half a roast chicken? ... nothing at all?

Feel free to post up you favourites, it may help other riders who struggle with the right choice for them, or are unsure what they should be taking and when.

Cheers guy's/girls.

Seriously though,  large bowl of porridge before I leave.  Milkshake or lunch when I get back.  Lunch would have a decent amount of protein in it (salmon bagel from Starbucks is hard decent, chicken salad for Bianco Nero is amazing) or just a protein bar or sis protein gel.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, mark-s said:

Porridge and banana before any morning ride and a protien shake after ..... But on Sat i had cooked chicken and Beer.

Me too!! Cheers! Follwed by Havana Club 7yr old! But I did log over 5000 cals burned that day! 😁

Personally my routine is Porridge with a banana chopped up through it, and a large black filter coffee.

On return, I havent really been taking anything, although its normally near lunchtime, so maybe scrambled egg on toast, or toast n beans?

SO thinking I should be adding more protein at this point? even if it is a Protein shake the minute I come in the door, and then have  food later.  (What does the protein shake do agin? Build muscle? or repair muscle?)

Thanks for the input guy's...... anyone else like to share?

Edited by liam mcd

27 minutes ago, liam mcd said:

Personally my routine is Porridge with a banana chopped up through it, and a large black filter coffee.

On return, I havent really been taking anything, although its normally near lunchtime, so maybe scrambled egg on toast, or toast n beans?

SO thinking I should be adding more protein at this point? even if it is a Protein shake the minute I come in the door, and then have  food later.  (What does the protein shake do agin? Build muscle? or repair muscle?)

Thanks for the input guy's...... anyone else like to share?

I used to take an interest in sports nutrition when the wife was active selling hebalife, they did a regain shake and a repair, I think the regain was for distance disciplines and the repair was for hardcore muscle men, but I was sceptical that either would probably do the job anyway. 

Edited by kenikeli
Duplicate
  • Thanks 1

I'm intolerant of gluten and dairy. It makes things difficult. I can have both but suffer afterwards.

Pre ride it's scrambled eggs, raisins, tomatoes. Or fruit soya milk smoothie.

I try to prepare post ride meal in advance so it's ready when I come back. Smoked salmon, more eggs, tons of salad, cucumber. Or 2:1 carb:protein shake. I go for MyProteine products as they are one of the cleanest on the market.

Check SIS ingredients list. It's as long as big ring summer day out.

• Like 1

I go for granola and yogurt before along with a coffee and a pint of water. 

Water and aldi own brand snickers during.

Good big lunch  or dinner after I get back in depending on the time of day. Probably a bit too greedy when I get home most of the time.

• Like 1

Pre cycle ,Porridge and 🍌 , with honey . 

Take a gel not long into cycle 

Post cycle , protein shake  , then anything that takes my fancy , always think I've earned it whether I have or not.

Ian 

• Like 1